Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Valentine's Day Wreath

I have mentioned before my holiday decorations for our little window.... the ones that annoy our cat, Scarlet. And I often get frustrated when I have a picture of something I am looking for in my head but can't find it in any store. This time I decided to try to make it myself.
It started out with a trip to the local craft store. Where I got an assortment of wooden hearts.
A 9 inch quilting hoop.
Red, pink, and white paint. As well as clear based glitter paint.
 And the always handy Aleene's Original Tacky Glue.
 After painting all of my wooden hearts and the quilting hoop. I used wax paper to protect the table. It is better than newspaper because then the wet paint doesn't stick to the newspaper and make them hard to remove.
 After gluing on the first "layer" of hearts. I spent quite a bit of time arranging and rearranging the hearts until I had them in the perfect order to fit on the hoop.
 And the second "layer" of hearts. Again much arranging and rearranging.
 The final product. I just need to add a little ribbon and hang it in the window to drive Scarlet crazy.
 I really enjoyed making my own wreath. I only wish they made wooden circles that are a bit thicker and solid, as balancing the hearts on the hoop until they were securely affixed was rather difficult.
What do you think? Do you ever have difficulty finding what you had in mind?

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! You need to find someone down there with a workshop who will cut you wider circles when you need it.

    I started a heart wreath last year, but ran out of material and knew I wouldn't get it finished on time. So I found some and need to get it finished....hopefully tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete