Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Book Love

As I have already talked about I work with kids and have a love for books.... I am frequently buying books to use for work and definitely have favorites. So lately I have been looking at building a little library so by the time we have children I have plenty of reading options. Several years ago my Aunt Chelle gave me a copy of The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus which she remembers her grandmother reading to her and her brothers.




So far I have been collecting a few of my favorites. The first Caps For Sale in which a cap peddler loses all his caps to some mischievous monkeys, I distinctly remember the teacher making great motions when reading this to the class. The second was Olive the Other Reindeer, which I like as it is a play on the Christmas Carol line "All of the other reindeer"... I love when they use rhyming and plays on words.

Then the other day while at Kohls I noticed they had Eric Carle books as a part of their Kohls Cares for Kids program. This is where they offer popular books for $5 a piece and they have coordinating stuffed animals. If you didn't already know one of my all time FAVORITE children's books is The Very Hungry Caterpillar so I got the caterpillar as well! Isn't he cute? I also got The Foolish Tortoise, The Grouchy Ladybug, and The Mixed-Up Chameleon books.

Some of my other favorite books are The Christmas Tree That Grew.... about a family who buys a tree with a root ball to plant in the yard of the new home they will be moving into after Christmas and the tree grows and grows to amazing heights.
 
Then there is The Wuggie Norple Story. This is about a dad that brings a cat home to his family and as it grows he brings home other animals to compare to the growing cats size. My parents hated this story as the characters have very difficult and imaginative names. 
Jim has expressed a desire to have Corduroy as he remembers this story well.
I also like Harold and the Purple Crayon because it encourages imagination. 
I think Love You Forever is as much for the children as parents. I always tear up at the end. 
Jim also loves If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. 
A classic that I think everyone loves. 
What were your favorite/most memorable books from childhood or reading to your children? What would be on your "must have" children's library list? I know I have a lot of parents and educators as readers.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm going to have to go check Kohl's out. They've been running books all year that I didn't like. In 2009, Emmy got several books & about 4 stuffed animals from the Kohl's Cares 4 Kids program. They were running Laura Numeroff...love her!! (& Felicia Bond). I love Eric Carle & always did at least one week a year dedicated to him.

    One of my favs is Joseph Had a Little Overcoat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, you have picked one of my favorite topics! And you shared several books I haven't heard of...I am going to the library tomorrow and will have to check them out. We just read I Love You Forever tonight. Kids find it just as comforting as adults. Here are my favorite books to read to my kids:

    1. The Seven Silly Eaters by Mary Ann Hoberman- By far my hands down favorite!!!!
    2. The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Deisen
    3. A Visitor for Bear by Bonny Becker
    4. I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen Beaumont

    ReplyDelete